ACS Archaeologists in Kells, Co. Meath

Archaeologist Kells Meath

Archaeologists from ACS were recently appointed to carry out the monitoring of topsoil stripping for a new Primary Medical Care Centre in Kells, Co. Meath. The site is situated to the south of the town of Kells and was formerly within the Headfort Estate. Headfort, a literal translation of Kenlis (a medieval corruption of Ceanannus), was the name taken by Thomas Taylor who purchased the estate in 1660. The family were elevated to Irish Peerage in 1704 when Thomas’ son was made a baronet. Headfort House was completed in 1760, with no less than five recognised architects, including Richard Castle, working on its design. The Headfort Estate was among the largest of the landed estates of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with assets totalling some 21, 796 acres and included the town of Kells, as well as Virginia Park in Co. Cavan.