ACS Complete Works In Mary St., Dublin

Archaeologists from ACS at Mary Street, Dublin

Archaeologists from ACS have recently completed archaeological works associated with the redevelopment of a major Dublin City Centre Department Store at Mary Street and Parnell Street. The building (shown) which forms the main part of the store was built for the prominent Dublin Retailer, Todd, Burns and Co. in 1906 and is a protected structure. An earlier store, on the same site had been destroyed in a fire on the 1st January 1902. The original store was founded by Gilbert Burns in 1834. The present development which extends from Mary Street to Parnell Street has been undergoing major redevelopment for a number of years. The redevelopment of the store included groundworks which required archaeological supervision. The store lies within an area associated with the medieval St Mary's Abbey.