Archaeological Monitoring Completed at Newtownards, Co. Down

Newtownards-Archaeological-Monitoring

Archaeologists from ACS have recently completed a programme of archaeological monitoring at Newtownards on behalf of the South Eastern Education and Library Board. The monitoring was carried out during the construction phase of a new school site near the Dominican Friary which was founded in 1244. The abbey was built by Sir Robert Savage less than a mile from St Finnians famous monastery at Movilla where Augustinian Canons had been installed some years earlier. Both Movilla and Newtownards were burned in 1572 by Brian O Neill of Clandeboye in an attempt to prevent the English troops from garrisoning them.